SHIFT LEADER (day and night shift)
Based in Littleport this position is part of a large production environment that has both a Day Shift and a Night Shift. The Production Department deals with extrusion, laying-up, braiding and any other processes that are required for the manufacture of sub-sea cables. This post is responsible for the supervision of the Production Department/ Night Shift and ensuring that site security is maintained over this period.
MAIN DUTIES OF THE JOB
1) To motivate and lead all manufacturing staff to work in an efficient manner, where safety and quality are paramount.
2) To allocate work throughout manufacturing on a daily basis to ensure that work is carried out in accordance with the schedule to meet the company’s quality and delivery performance requirements.
3) To issue all job sheets and work sheets to manufacturing staff and ensure that they are compiled/completed correctly prior to returning to production office.
4) To report all variances from the schedule.
5) To ensure manufacturing and quality procedures are carried out and respond to the notification of any deviation from the procedure or non-conformance.
6) Responsible for assisting with disciplinary issues in conjunction with HR and the Production Manager.
7) Assist with the training of others, e.g. new staff/inductions, along with the training officer.
8) Assist with machine operation where necessary.
9) Report all break downs to Maintenance in writing.
10) Assist in the implementation of company initiatives.
11) Comply with the company’s Health and Safety Policy with particular concern for personal safety and safety of others. Responsible for attending to and reporting on any accident that occurs on the shift.
12) Ensure that all machines and working environment are clean and tidy (good housekeeping) and comply with the Health & Safety requirements/policy.
13) In addition to these duties employees are required to carry out such other duties as may reasonably be required
Knowledge and skills required
Production experience is desirable in one of the related areas as specified above. A willingness to learn and follow set procedures is essential.
Define the goals and objectives of the business and department
Give clear objectives to each member of staff so they know what is expected of them.
Balance the workload in manufacturing to ensure staff are not overloaded/under-loaded.
Communicate effectively with staff in a team environment and individually, to give feedback on progress of work.
Listen to staff concerns and take action as appropriate.
Assess the capability of staff with respect to the tasks expected of them.
Identify different strengths and weaknesses of staff.
Use strengths of some staff to develop weaknesses in other staff.
Identify and implement both internal and external training as appropriate.
Formal qualifications are not essential but the following would be preferred:
NVQ/BTEC within manufacturing discipline level preferred.
Strong experience of Team Leader / Management role.
A willingness to learn and follow set procedures is essential.
A guide to line manager’s responsibilities
Develop team plans
– Involve team in developing and agreeing team targets/objectives in line with organisational targets/objectives
– Monitor performance
Hold monthly team meetings
– Communicate progress
– Discuss issues
– Update plans
– Encourage ideas and suggestions
Conduct performance reviews of all staff
– Agree individual targets/objectives
– Agree individual development needs
– Review previous performance
– Provide constructive feedback
Manage team development
– Agree development objectives
– Evaluate effectiveness of development activities
– Recognise and monitor diversity issues
– Monitor budgets and costs
– Encourage feedback on own performance
– Willingness to adapt to feedback
Neaves & Neat Employment Services Ltd. are acting as an Employment Agency for this Permanent vacancy.